Friday, June 13, 2008

Goonie Gertie killer of snakes!

It had to happen. Eventually I would have to show you a little of where I come from and why I am like I am. So today I will introduce you to my late, maternal grandmother. She was a woman of real substance in a world where women were submissive, sweet and concerned about their image.
She was born in Johannesburg at the turn of the last century (I'm guessing because she habitually lied about - or just wouldn't tell - about her age).
The daughter of an immigrant who came from a place in Germany called Memel (which no longer exists or has been sold to defray expenses). Her immigrant father started out life as a smous complete with a tray on straps and ended up a friend of Paul Kruger and owned a town which was named after his wife and which later ended up with a name that although it sounded triumphant was in fact quite shameful. Enough clues there? More information can be found at the Apartheid Museum I'm told. This is not a work of fiction but I don't have to spell it all out to you do I?
After the Anglo Boer War (the second one of course) my great-grandfather left South Africa - apparently he couldn't / wouldn't live here under the Brits - and went to Germany. It is rumoured that he was the person who transported the famed Kruger Millions out of the country and family history has it that the British soldiers arrived at their house shortly after he had left (wife and children were still here and were to follow him later on) and dug up the floors etc searching for said Millions. Natch they weren't found and I sure don't have them!
So my Ouma lived in Germany and England as a girl, wore ermine-trimmed cloaks and bonnets trimmed with guipure lace, had a governess and had her picture taken by the German Royal Court Photographer. The family later returned to South Africa and my grandmother went to a convent school where she learned useful stuff like embroidery, singing, painting etc.
Whatever her education and her early life she ended up the funniest woman I have ever known from a family of very funny women. She had cousins who could start you laughing at breakfast and keep you in hysterics till bedtime.
My Oumie was definitely NOT a linguist but this never stood in her way. She always spoke to her domestic in Afrikaans - she couldn't actually speak Afrikaans, but she just made it up as she went along and the domestics never ever laughed either. They probably thought she was talking Russian. She knew a smattering of Yiddish - most of which she twisted and abused and used the rudest of the rude words at the most inopportune moments. She made up words that we all thought were real and gave us what she insisted were the "dictionary" definitions if she was challenged. To this day my family ALL use sayings and words that my Ouma simply introduced as unassailably part of the english/afrikaans/yiddish/german/french language. Incidentally she learnt French at the convent school and my Oupa* always said that the nuns should have refunded the money they never earned.
She had a nickname which had been shortened to Goon or Goonnie which came from the Zulu word for mouse - she was deathly afraid of mice - and had been given to her by the workers on their farm (more in a later post).
She was a lady to her kidskin gloved fingertips but could be utterly vulgar with the sweetest most innocent smile on her face.
She refused to eat, wear, drink or contemplate anything which was not imported. She simply got urticaria and bumps from anything that didn't come from France, Germany, Switzerland, England etc.
She was my shopping mentor and could spend the day (with me in tow) finding the perfect pair of gloves, or having her french-made corset and bras fitted by a special bra-fitter. Her corsetry was like a suit of armour and it was all linked together by a series of teeny hooks and covered with silk french knickers and cami's. Pinching my Ouma's butt was pretty much impossible. Bumping into her could give you bruises and she had the best posture - who can slouch with that much whalebone! She told me that ladies never counted their change - a rule I followed faithfully for years - till I realised she made it up because she never had any idea what amount she should be getting - those nuns had a lot to answer for.
Apart from mice, she was absolutely fearless - she once was accosted by a snake - in her living room (or was it the drawing room - no I jest - it was the lounge). She beat the poor reptile to an early death. With a FLYSWATTER.
Once, during one of those holidays where the entire family was staying over at my grandparents' house, my aunt was passing by their bedroom door where my Oupie was giving my Oumie a rather passionate goodnight kiss - auntie heard my Ouma's clear and beautiful voice saying "Alec stoppit! The children will think their mother is a prostitute!"
She took up smoking in her 70's because she felt she needed a hobby and thought it would look stylish if she smoked - whilst turning out dainty little pastel drawings!
Oh I am so lucky to have known this fabulous lady! And she had 3 daughters who are all eccentric delightful dames in their own right.
*My Oupa was a remarkable linguist and learned languages with frightening ease. He was a phenomenal man and I will tell you about him one day too.

12 comments:

Tamara said...

Wow - what a great post. I really enjoyed that. Explains a lot about your own breed of zaniness ;-)

Have a fab long weekend, Charm.

Charmskool said...

Hi Tamara, thanks so much for the kind words - have a lovely long weekend too.

Betenoir said...

you should totally follow this up with the story about "the snake that got vacuumed". it would, like, link.

or a story about your child, the hugely attractive genius.

Charmskool said...

Yes it would appear the women in our family have a way with snakes - I will do a post about my hugely attractive daughter but may have to mention she is rather vain about her amazing good looks which I will have to hint that she got from her mother but modesty prevents me from actually saying so!

Betenoir said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betenoir said...

Also, she has a way with snakes.

...said the vicar to the actress. Pshaw!

Charmskool said...

She is rather adept at charming elephants, and handsome photographer chaps who write beautiful prose, too.

AngelConradie said...

oh that was marvellous! what an incredibe person to count as family!!

kyknoord said...

What kind of a snake? I hope it wasn't the one-eyed variety, 'cos then the whole flyswatter business would be fraught with irony.

Charmskool said...

Angel - in my family eccentricity is considered a basic necessity. The biggest insult we can pay each other is to say "oooh look Charmie is acting like a grown-up lady".
Kyknoord - I'm guessing that in the wilds of Rondebosch it probably wasn't a boomslang but as for the one-eyed variety - she had three children so clearly she didn't kill those with flyswatters although at some stage flies may have been involved.

strega said...

we have often laughed at the eccentricities of our families - the blood of early 20th Century Europeans was infused with craziness - but I screamed with laughter at Goonies linguistical skills - on a par with 'wurms' and 'apil tot'!

ps thank God your brother and I never bred..imagine lol

Charmskool said...

Assunta I tend to think that the craziness of our forebears is what translates into our delightfully eccentric personalities. As for sprogs produced by you and my brother - possibly the naughtiest most indulged brat on the planet?