Monday, July 21, 2008

Did you notice I wasn't around? And did you miss me?

I'm back! I guess you all didn't really care one way or another, but I've been somewhat distracted for a while so haven't posted - honestly - nothing moved me enough to write about it. I was thoroughly bored with JZ, Bob M and Thabo and my life slowed down to the point where the most exciting event was when they acid-washed the tiles in my office and recoated them after that with a foul-smelling goop with a stink that burned the skin off the inside of my throat, my nose and my mouth and the tiling men told me I couldn't use my office for the rest of the day - yay enforced half-day - I went shopping...well what did you think I would do with spare time? Then tararara I got the flu! Not ordinary flu, but astounding body racking, lung infecting, sinus-blocking, ear-wrenching, stomach-aching two weeks off work with delirious fevers flu. I couldn't blog because my poor old computer at home has died. It went blip, blap, blink, glurrgh, flash and breathed it's last. I did read all your blogs however, on my amazing Nokia E51 cellphone, but resisted commenting because it's major work for the thumbs trying to comment on a blog using a cellphone.
So, all I have done in the last two weeks is watch daytime tv - well actually daytime tv is so putrid most of the time and DSTV floods you with repeat after repeat so I actually just slept on the couch in front of the tv. And I read Spud by John van der Ruit - stunning!!! By the way I realised that boys (and by extension men) are bizarre.
And ate sweets and biscuits till the maternal one visited and confiscated them - the cheek of it - she took away my sweeties and gave me a lecture about sugar and flour and caffeine (I drank about 6 gallons of tea). She may have been right - my pants feel a trifle tight around the middle this morning.
Oh yes and I watched daily episodes of a fabulous programme on Animal Planet called Monkey Business. I guess that this was probably a repeat of the series (knowing DSTV) but for me it was a first and really worth it.
Wow am I boring or what?
I was going to tell you stuff about myself that you don't know but I guess that can wait for another day. Well.....maybe a teaser or two to tantalise you....?
I am commitment-phobic and the thought of being in a relationship with anyone fills me with fear and trembling - maybe it's those two failed marriages?
I have skin that is as white as snow and soft as velvet and look like a blonde snow white in winter and then when I get two minutes of sun in summer I go brown as a berry within days. It really pisses of most of the people I know.
I am a shoe addict. I absolutely love shoes and have dozens of pairs each in their own see-through plastic box with little sachets of that stuff that shlurps up damp that they put in pill bottles. I have so many pairs of shoes that I am thinking of having a special shoe cupboard built as they take up the bottom half of my built-in cupboard and have an entire wall alongside the cupboard for the overflow. I actually don't know how many pairs I have, and have many that I have only worn once or twice.
I make jewellery by the ton - especially large noisy bracelets and chunky necklaces and can't sneak up on anyone because of the jingling. I make loads of jewellery to sell, but then can't part with it so have to make double so I can have my own copy of the piece I'm selling. I make jewellery for colleagues and friends - especially for weddings etc and get performance anxiety before I make every piece.
I was abused as a child (physically not sexually so don't start fretting about my sex life) by my nanny and had a fear of oats porridge for most of my life - maybe one day I'll explain that one.
I have a brother I adore and a sister who I don't adore. She bit me when I was a newborn baby and she's been doing similar one way or another ever since.
I am the world's biggest chatterbox and generally there is lots of laughter around my conversations although I have been accused of being very wise - my daughter sends friends with problems to talk to me - I have that child so well brain-washed she thinks her mom is smart. Cool hey? But talk the hind leg of a donkey I will - except when I'm around a certain Italian man I have known since I was in high school - around him I am reduced to a burbling, mumbling idiot who keeps saying stuff like "so how are you?" "you are looking well" over and over again. Sad, sad fool ...... well in my defence the man is HOT and Italian and kind of connected if you know what I mean.
That's enough for now. More when I have the time and the inspiration - I hope you are all still going to read my rubbish and that the absence hasn't been just what you were waiting for.
Oh yes, I imagine I am a fantastic singer and belt out jazz and ballads at the top of my lungs when the feeling takes me - not always when I'm alone in the bathroom either. It scares the doodie out of the folks in the cars next to me at the traffic lights I reckon.

14 comments:

kyknoord said...

You don't think the commitment phobia may have something to do with the thought of someone else taking up space that could be better occupied by shoes?

Charmskool said...

Kyknoord that is uncanny - I think you may have just saved me a fortune on therapy.

K.M. said...

Good to have you back, Charmskool.
Whew, you were abused by your nanny. What happened? Did your parents know?

Charmskool said...

My parents were divorced and my mom worked all day so the nanny was in charge and she terrified me into not telling my mom about the abuse. She was an evil witch who thought up all sorts of cruel punishments for me and I never ever told till I was an adult! Maybe one day I'll write about it here? Only when I brought it up with my therapist (getting treatment for depression - what a surprise)that he looked at me in horror and said "my God you were abused and you never told anyone until now!" She died a number of years ago from breast cancer so I guess we are even now. She left us after she married a school principal when I was about 9 and after that I had the sweetest nanny imaginable so I didn't have a bad time from then on. But sadly she ruined the first 8 or so years of my life.

Anonymous said...

You're back, thank God. We were about to call in the police dogs.

Charmskool said...

CTFS Hi there - you missed me? I'm thrilled! I was on a scientific mission - testing the strength of paper towel versus tissues versus kitchen wipes when dealing with snot. Kitchen wipes won. Paper towel is not flexible enough and tissues - ewww they explode under pressure.

Sweets said...

you are a legend
i hope you know this fact :)
funny endearing stuff pops... now send me a bracelet please ;)~

Charmskool said...

Sweets are you telling the truth? I'm a legend - hmmm.... or is it the bracelet? I'm thinking I may be a little gullible. Actually, if you live in CT maybe I will make you one at some stage....if you keep telling other people I'm a legend hee hee.

Briget said...

I did.. welcome back "charmy"

but it sounds like you had a hectic time.. so your forgiven..ok?

Charmskool said...

Because - glad you missed me - owing to the sweeties and peanut butter cookies from Principessa there is a little more of me than before - strange considering I was too ill to cook or each much lol.

Tamara said...

Yay! You are back! My day is made.

Hope you're better now. And I agree - tissues are pathetic. Unless you get those "man-sized" Gary Player ones. I ask you, do they think women don't have as much snot as men.

Sorry... being gross. I make jewellery by the ton too, but always end up giving it away as presents. I used to sell it, but the shops were so bad at paying me that I stopped. You should post pics of yours.

Charmskool said...

Hi Tamara (my favourite little palm tree lol) thanks for the kind words. I love that you also make jewellery - I won't sell to shops because they always want either credit or to sell on consignment and yep they don't pay. I do take orders from individuals and if I don't know them I take a cash deposit in case they renege on paying me later. I love giving jewellery as presents and my colleagues ALWAYS put that on their Christmas wish list for the "secret" Santa.

AngelConradie said...

ooh ooh- i am a total shoe addict too! and i sing ALL the time!!!

Charmskool said...

Angel I KNEW we were soul sisters the first time I read your blog.