Friday, July 25, 2008

My birthday wish list - once you start this list thing...

It is my birthday next week. Switzerland shares it's National Day with me and I'm ok with that, as long as all my Swiss friends continue to understand that my birthday is the really important event. I think at this juncture I should point out that I love my birthday. I adore getting presents and being feted as the birthday queen of the day (or longer if I can spin it out - which I generally do). I don't like getting older and age is not a thing I mention on my birthday. To me birthdays have blow all to do with aging and everything to do with getting as much undivided attention from all and sundry as possible.
You have obviously worked out from this self-absorbed waffle that I am a Leo and whether you subscribe to the theory that sun signs have certain characteristics or not is up to you, but if I don't attribute my need for attention and adoration by my friends, family and subjects to my sun sign then I would simply be a rather self-centred, luxury-loving, attention-seeking sybarite and I'm not that at all. I'm simply a princess living in a world where princesses are not always recognised for the value they bring to their world. I'm the sweet, adorable kitten version of the Leo and not the roaring, man-eating lion-type - well, unless you really stand very hard on my tail - then just stay out of reach of my claws for a day or two and buy me some catnip to distract me.
However, in my usual fashion, I digress!
I am now going to list, in a simple and easy to store/copy into your notebooks for ease of reference fashion,my wish list for birthday presents - a trick I learned from my sweet Betenoir. However, my list will only include items I am pretty sure I will not be getting from anyone. (I will however follow that with the really short list of the presents I am likely to receive). My mom told me that a good girl never ever asks for presents, and I must NEVER ask for presents from anyone, and that's why all the bad girls get the huge diamonds, the fur coats (not that I'd wear one I'm an animal lover), the Mercedes sports cars, ......while us good girls - well, we get vacuum cleaners, coffee makers, tumble driers, washing machines, cosy pyjamas, books, cd's etc. Incidentally, that rather prosaic list of gifts that good girls get.... you guessed it .......those are all gifts I have received from my two husbands. Actually, except for the coffee maker, they are all gifts I received from husband no. 2 (a Leo himself - so he should know better).
Here's the list - in no particular order of preference:

  1. A two week stay in Tokyo, preferably in the Harajuku district, so I can go shopping at all the designer stores, jewellery stores, shoe stores, toy stores, stores, stores, stores. This gift should, of course, come complete with a platinum credit card and unlimited credit or there is no point in the gift in the first place.
  2. The largest bottle ever made of Calvin Klein Euphoria perfume (I'll settle for eau de toilette if I get the matching body lotion. Actually, I don't know whether I should think of this gift as unachievable, the universe may hear me and just give up on me for thinking too small.
  3. A trip to Italy for a month, for two, so Bonni can come with me, and of course the platinum card would join us for the entire month. The gift should include Business Class travelling costs, hotels, car hire etc
  4. A simply wonderful, perfect, all bells and whistles camera and as many lessons that it takes from the best photography teacher till I can take acceptable pictures with it.
  5. A lifetime supply of Jimmy Choos
  6. A leather doctors couch for my lounge (Hobie leaves hair on fabric)
  7. Cobblestone paving for my garden and beautiful olde fashioned wrought iron furniture to be tucked in the little garden rooms and nooks and crannies because:
  8. The services of the best landscape designer to make the garden of my dreams, complete with the plants, pots, water features etc that will be needed
  9. A butler
  10. A full-time chef
  11. A laundry maid
  12. A lady-in-waiting - NOPE - make that at least three ladies-in-waiting - what kind of princess only has one lady-in-waiting.
  13. A gorgeous handsome man who thinks that I am the most beautiful, shapely, funny, clever, kind, passionate and all round wonderful woman he has ever met, who dotes on me and is at the same time protective, funny, strong, clever and so wealthy that it makes your eyes water just to think about that big a number.
  14. As much plastic surgery as I deem it necessary I need to whatever body part that needs it and the most perfect results ever seen.
  15. Lipstick that stays on all day that isn't that dry gross strange stuff that they make at the moment, and also while it's staying on all day it makes my lips as full as Angelina's.
  16. A laptop that is so good that I can even play computer games on it. One that is the fastest, strongest, cleverest, most up-to-date with all the bells and whistles that any laptop can have, and strangely, it's as light as a feather (yeah really).
  17. A chauffeur.
  18. Good health (well I thought I'd throw one in that I would have to get from my Creator)
  19. A platinum card with a limitless amount of credit that magically pays itself in full at the end of every month.
  20. A beach chair that doesn't make my back sore
  21. Ditto for a bed - Ooooo yes a new bed

Now here's what I will get for my birthday:

shower gel, bath gel, body lotion, maybe a cd, chocolates (like I should be eating chocolates!), more bath gel, maybe a strange plastic dish (from my aunt), some cash (my mom knows what makes me tick), more body lotion.

How do I know this? Because it's what I've been getting for years for my birthday. I am divorced from husband number 2 or this year I would be getting a new kettle - mine's sprung a leak - or if he was feeling especially flush, a food processor.

Toodle pip all and have a lovely weekend!

15 comments:

Karin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K.M. said...

Every single member of my immediate family, barring me, is/was a leo. It's safe to say that I get along well with the cats, though we make a noisy family (I too am a fire sign)

Happy birthday for whatever day this week it falls on (I don't know what date Switzerland's special day is).

The only thing worse than bath and shower gel for one's birthday is candles. Though, to be fair, the accumulated stock of candles came in quite useful this year during Eskom's enforced power failure

Charmskool said...

DBAWIW the Swiss National Day is on the 1st of August. I used to have a Swiss boyfriend and he really went to town on the bouquets he sent me for my birthday, they looked like something you'd send the queen hahah. Omiglorybe I hadn't thought about candles - I get those too, although they HAVE come in useful this year.

kyknoord said...

How about a ficus? You can never have too many ficuses as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and tanks. Tanks are a sure winner in my book.

Charmskool said...

Kyknoord - Ficus meh. Now a tank - thats a really good option!

K.M. said...

Don't diss the ficus, Charmskool. They seem to survive, no matter for how long one doesn't water them. Not like those horrid tomato plants which spend their time pretending to die until they eventually do.

Charmskool said...

Yeah DBAWIW I guess a ficus is useful if you need more stuff gathering dust and not being too noisy, but remember this is a birthday "WISH" list for stuff I know I will probably never get. A ficus - I am pretty sure my ex-husband gave me one of those too once.

Sweets said...

LOL showergel is such a wonderful gift... NOT!

i have a cupboard full of gifts i'm giving away again, are you a regifter too?

:)

Charmskool said...

Errmm..Sweets I am unable to answer your question about re-gifting because some of my friends and relatives read my blog....I have to say that the timing of my birthday is working out well tho' I'm down to my last quarter bottle of shower gel. Plenty of bath bubbles left - I don't bath more than once or twice a year, I am a showerer (?) - so may need, out of kindness, to regift bath bubbles?

AngelConradie said...

in our family you're allowed to make a birthday list a couple of times as a grownup- stuff you really want, but will prolly never get around to buying for yourself!
its SO cool to give someone a gift knowing its something they really want!

Charmskool said...

Angel that is such an excellent idea. in the old days we used to have a system in our family where if there was something you really wanted that was too expensive for one person you could say and then everyone (or a small group of family) would pool their present money and buy that gift. My mom hinted that my aunt was trying to find a good replacement for my Mamma Bear Porridge Bowl which I broke when I had flu and wasn't concentrating properly - I was sooo sad. I hope she is successful.

Janine / Being Brazen said...

WOW, now thats a list.

I want a month or two in Italy as well, and when i learn to walk in Stillettos i want a lifetime supply of Jimmy Choo shoes.

:)

Charmskool said...

Brazen, take a tip from me - do NOT walk in stilettos. They are only to be worn from the car door to the restaurant door etc. Read my next post if you don't believe me. Italy ....ahhhhh. Incidentally, at the Jimmy Choo shop in Cape Town all the shoes are in locked glass cases. I leave drool all over the glass.

elizabeth said...

Mmmm. Never thought of asking for a car. Next time instead of asking for a gift card to the local book shop - that just might top the list...

Hope you had a great birthday.

Charmskool said...

Elizabeth you have to ask for stuff or you'll never get it. Of course, unless you are dating a hugely wealthy man or have a trust fund you still won't get it, but the request is out there see.